Internet and Communication
Love to Communicate and want to do it more effectively on your Android Tablet! Get out our great list of Instant Messaging Apps! Download Google Chrome, Firefox, Wechat for Android.
Click on the title of this section to expand the list and show you every app in our system!
FoxFi (WiFi Tether w/o Root)« Communication « Downloads
|Updated||September 17, 2014|
Turns your Android phone into a free WiFi Hotspot – no rooting or tether plan required.
You can connect from any computers or tablets or even game console. Access Point is infrastructure mode with WPA2 security. FoxFi usage is covered under the same phone data plan you have and no tether plan needed. This saves you $20/month from your carrier.
Currently WiFi mode may not support some phone models and we are working to expand the supported list. However Bluetooth/USB mode works for all phones. To check and see if WiFi mode can be supported on your phone visit http://foxfi.com/devices
Again you do not need a tether plan or root your phone (otherwise this software will be meaningless). It WiFi mode prompts you to call your carrier that means FoxFi has failed and you should use USB mode or Bluetooth mode instead.
*If you have T-mobile, you should use USB mode with “Hide Tether Usage” enabled.
*Sprint and AT&T has blocked the original FoxFi from Market. If you get error installing please use the second link from http://pdanet.co/android
*Some Jelly Bean phones has locked-down the WiFi hotspot feature, because of that FoxFi will ask you to install a user certificate on those phones. The side effect is that Android system will require you to set a screen lock (and only allows Pattern, PIN or Password) when any security settings is changed. There is indeed a way to remove the lock screen while keeping the certificate (Android 4.3 or below only): set a pattern lock (can not be PIN lock) and try to unlock the phone with a “bad pattern” for 5-10 times, it will show you an error message, now select “Forgot Pattern?” and enter your gmail/password. After these steps the screen lock will be removed without removing the certificate.
–This solution NO LONGER works on Android 4.4 because it now disallows Pattern Lock and forces you to use PIN lock.
–Android 4.4 will also show a warning message that says “Your network usage may be monitored…” as a result of installing the “FoxFi Certificate”. The FoxFi certificate doesn’t really do anything beyond turning on hotspot.
–If the screen lock or the certificate warning bothers you, you can actually remove the FoxFi certificate after WiFi hotspot is ready. That is because the certificate (as well as the VPN) is only needed during the “turning on” period.
–To remove the FoxFi certificate, select “Clear Credentials” from phone security Settings (this removes ONLY the FoxFi certificate, all the stocked certificates will stay). Only after that your phone will allow you to set screen lock to “None”.
*AT&T Galaxy/Note phones: WiFi mode is now blocked if you updated to 4.3. Please use USB/BT mode.
*The free version has a usage limit that requires you to restart FoxFi to continue using free mode. You can purchase the full version key to unlock this.
Here are some tips to help your usage:
1. On some models if you run into WiFi problem after using the Hotspot, simply reboot your phone and rename the hotspot before activating to clear the issue.
2. For some Samsung phones if your computer is not able to get an IP address, try to turn on WiFi on the phone first and make sure it does not connect to any WiFi network, then turn on FoxFi.
3. FoxFi is tested on non-rooted phones. If your phone has a rooted ROM it may or may not work.
4. When WiFi hotspot is activated you may also see a hotspot notification of the built-in WiFi hotspot feature. Please ignore it. As long as you do not sign up for a tether plan you won’t be charged.
5. If you enter or change the hotspot password, make sure you rename the hotspot also before activating.
6. Sometimes Windows need a “repair” on the WiFi menu to get a correct IP address.
- textPlus Free Text + Calls
- Viber for Android
- Dolphin Browser for Android
- Google Chrome for Android
- WhatsApp Messenger for Android
- Skype for Android
- Bigo:Free Phone Calls Globally
- Opera Mini for Tablets
- Firefox for Android
- BBM Messenger for Android
- FREE Calls with magicJack
- Kik Messenger
- Voxer Walkie Talkie Messenger